Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"Mic Check, 1, 2" Hip-Hop Technology and Society





Filming and editing are hobbies that I enjoy greatly. After reading an article titled "The Technology and the Society", by Raymond Williams, our task as a class was to create three videos of our own, with certain restrictions, that would convey an idea regarding technology and society. I have a very strong relationship with Hip - Hop as a culture, so I decided to focus on the technology of Hip - Hop and how it evolved through time. 

My first video is titled, "I Wake Up to Hip - Hop". It is a simple one minute video showing myself in the morning preparing for my day, while listening to a Hip - Hop classic, "You're All I Need", by Method Man and Mary J. Blige. The music with what I chose to frame myself around really brought my video to life. In the background there is a poster of Michael Jackson and Kobe Bryant. I am wearing a shirt with the face of George Jefferson on it and one of his famous quotes from the TV series, " The Jeffersons". I chose to surround myself with African - American's who have all influenced or have been influenced by Hip - Hop in some way. The camera acts as a mirror in my room. 
My second video is titled, "Hip - Hop Technology, From When It Was Sweet". This video is all found footage. I chose to combine Hip - Hop Culture, both New School and Old School to show the variety of the Hip - Hop form. From round groups in a cypher, to Jay-Z bleeding from your speakers, to graffiti artists, the technology in Hip - Hop has strongly impacted society. 

My Third and final video is titled, "Hip - Hop Technology, Sweeter Than Ever". In this video I combined found footage with some of my own to get across a message about Hip - Hop culture from its roots. I chose to go completely Old School, from artists like Kid  & Play and Dougie Fresh. I enjoyed creating this video the most because it brought me to a place when the music was pure, real, and fun.  

1 comment:

  1. So, how influential would you say that remixing is in our culture of hip hop? What if there was some way to trace or study the culture and style of remixing culture in relation to the cultures generating it? I think Black culture has so many great and enriching styles that need continuous exposure.

    ReplyDelete