Friday, October 1, 2010

Leers Visit

Dan Leers is a unique individual; It's no wonder he is a Lawrence Alumni. In his presentation today, he spoke about how he had no way in knowing what path he wanted to venture down to him eventually working at the Museum of Modern Arts, his "dram job", as he put it. Before attending Lawrence I spoke to one of the professors here in the Film department. I told him about my dreams of becoming a director or a cinematographer. He told me at lawrence it is best to not have one set career in mind because I may find myself in a career completely off course. At the time it seemed very awkward to me and my family. I remember my mother telling me not to listen to that man and that he was insane. She told me to always keep my mind set on what I wanted to do. Although I still have the same mentality with what direction I want to pursue in my life, I do feel like Lawrence has taken me off that corse a bit, still never leading me astray. Leers talked about how he and some of his classmates developed, "The Dating Show", at Columbia University in New York City. Below is a link to a brief trailer of the show. It's rather remarkable to me how he jumped from Art History to Photography, to doing something like this. It's amazing what the mind can unfold.  

The Dating Show

3 comments:

  1. I personally found it very encouraging to hear from an alumn who has made their dreams reality. So often I feel that many liberal arts students are thoroughly convinced they might live in cardboard boxes for the rest of their lives that they forget that they can make things like what Dan Leers did happen. Interdepartmental distraction is a risk we take when it comes to attending a liberal arts school, but I feel like you should stay confident in your choice of school and most definitely your ability to achieve what you desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is inspiring to see someone successful coming from Lawrence in the art field, however is it really making you feel comfortable in your own field? If he made such a drastic career move and kind of gave up on something he was passionate about because it wasn't working out...do we really want him coming back so we can hear what he has to say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How not to limit the range of possibilities?

    ReplyDelete